Feb 16, 2022
According to WHO, cancer is a leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for nearly 10 million deaths in 2020, or nearly one in six deaths. Many cancers can be cured if detected early and treated effectively. Studies have shown that an anti-cancer diet is an important strategy you can use to reduce your risk of cancer.
To help us understand the role of food in preventing and curing illnesses, specifically cancer, we have Dr. Shireen Kassam, a certified Lifestyle Medicine Physician and co-author of the book Eating Plant-Based: Scientific Answers to Your Nutrition Questions. A certified CHIP (Complete Health Improvement Program) practitioner, she has immersed herself in the science of nutrition and health and completed the eCornell certification in plant-based nutrition. Her deep interest in the power of nutrition for the prevention and treatment of disease led her to follow a whole food plant-based diet. Dr. Shireen Kassam co-founded Plant-Based Health Online, the UK’s first online lifestyle medicine service, and Plant-Based Health UK, a non-profit organization whose mission is to educate health professionals on the benefits of whole food plant-based nutrition.
What we discuss in this episode:
- What is cancer?
- How much does cancer prevention depend on our lifestyle?
- The WHO said ⅓ of cancer deaths are due to 5 factors. What are these?
- How bacteria, parasites, viruses, chemicals in water and air contribute to cancer
- Inflammation, IGF1( Insulin-like growth factor 1), and food. How are they connected?
- How do you convince a cancer patient to change their lifestyle?
- What are the top cancer fighting foods?
- To cook or not to cook vegetables
- Is soya good or bad for you?
- What you have to know about alcohol, sugar, fat and how they affect our immune system
- Mediterranean diet vs. plant-based diet. Which is healthier?
- Follow Dr. Kassam - https://www.instagram.com/plantbasedhealthprofessionals/
- Visit Plant Based Health Professionals website - https://plantbasedhealthprofessionals.com/
- Does intermittent fasting help prevent cancer?
- Plant-based online telemedicine practice in the UK
- Sign up to the 21-Day Plant-Based Challenge: https://plantbasedhealthprofessionals.com/21-day-challenge
- Use code SWITCH for 25% off your order at MaxinesHeavenly.com
- Purality B12 Deal: http://puralityhealth.com/SWITCHb12 to buy one B12 and get one free plus 35% off the rest of Purality’s products
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Switch4Good/
- Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/switch4good/
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/Switch4GoodOrg
- Website - https://switch4good.org/